Say Goodbye to Chaos!
By Guest Blogger
As a professional organizer in Phoenix AZ, I spend a lot of time in garages. It’s safe to say the garage is the catch-all for everything that doesn’t have a place inside the home, along with the tools, Christmas decorations, camping gear and other categories that typically live there. But before we jump in to exactly how to go about your garage, let's start with a simple rule: clear everything out first. Garage organization is much easier and the final result will be much more efficient if you start with a clean slate. Set up tables on your driveway and pick up some clear shoebox-sized plastic to sort through all the stuff. You’ll also need some large bins for larger items.
It’s also a good idea to grab some box cutters. You'll need them to slice through worn-out cardboard boxes that have overstayed their welcome. Let's bid those boxes farewell and make space for the bins you’ll use to organize. Now, let's talk storage solutions that will best suit your garage and its contents. It’s also a good idea to measure the garage so you purchase storage products that will fit the space:
- Wall-Mounted Shelving Units: These units are all about using your vertical space wisely. They provide extra storage and are perfect for tools, boxes, and sports equipment of all shapes and sizes. They are a low cost solutions to store bins, paint cans, and other low cost possessions.
- Maximize Space with Overhead Storage Racks: Overhead storage racks are a relatively new entry to the garage storage market. These racks are ideal for long-term storage and make use of that underutilized space above your head. Just make sure those mounting screws are secure in the ceiling studs. We don't want any unexpected surprises when you park your car!
- Organize Tools with Pegboards: You won’t believe you ever lived without pegboards after you put them in your garage. These versatile boards make organizing tools a breeze. With a grid of holes, you can hang hooks, pegs, and attachments to keep your tools and small items in order. No more digging through a messy toolbox—everything will be within reach. Pro tip: go for steel pegboards to avoid deterioration.
- Opt for Stackable Storage Bins: When it comes to small items, stackable plastic storage bins are your secret weapon. They're perfect for sorting and categorizing all of the random stuff in the garage. Clear bins are great for lightweight items, while the heavy-duty black bins with yellow lids from Home Depot are ready to handle your heavier storage needs. They even stack up like puzzle pieces, thanks to their clever lid design!
- Magnetic Tool Holders: Keep your most-used hand tools within arm's reach with magnetic tool holders. Attach them to the walls or mount to your pegboards to store small metal hand tools. These are ideal for specialized tool sets like wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers.
- Heavy-Duty Hooks and Hangers: Don't settle for flimsy hooks that can't handle the weight. Go for heavy-duty ones that can support your precious items. Brands like Rubbermaid and Ryobi offer versatile hook systems that can handle anything from rakes and brooms to bicycles. They may be a bit pricier, but the flexibility they provide is worth the investment.
- Standalone Storage Cabinets: Ready to take your garage to the next level? Consider investing in cabinets specifically designed for garages. These cabinets offer closed storage, protecting your belongings from dust while giving your space a polished and organized look. It's like giving your garage a makeover!
- Workbench: A workbench is an absolute must-have for any do-it-yourselfer’s garage. It's the perfect spot for all your projects and tinkering. Modern workbenches are equipped with built-in electrical outlets, USB ports for charging your tools and devices, overhead LED lights, stainless steel easy-glide doors, and lockable casters for mobility. The Seville Classics ULTRAHD workbench is a fantastic choice that won't break the bank. You won't need another one unless you decide to test its durability with your car!
- Utilize Tool Chests: Tool chests make excellent use of space by allowing you to keep tools in shallow drawers, just like cooking utensils in the kitchen. If you're looking to save some cash, check out platforms like OfferUp or Facebook Marketplace for excellent deals on used tool chests that are still in top-notch condition.
- Wall-Mounted Cabinets: Who says cabinets are just for kitchens and bathrooms? Wall-mounted cabinets keep your possessions free of dust and prevent them from being damaged by people, pets, or weather. These are generally smaller square cabinets that are perfect for storing automotive fluids and cleaning supplies.
Say goodbye to chaos and hello to #DeskGoals!
When it comes to keeping your home organized, having adequate storage is key. But having storage isn't enough; it needs to be well-organized, labeled, and kept in categories and zones to be truly effective. In this post, we'll be discussing the importance of home storage and how to keep it organized.
Why Home Storage Is Important
First things first, why is home storage so important? Well, for starters, it can help you save time and reduce stress. When everything has a place and is easy to find, you won't waste time searching for what you need. Plus, an organized home can reduce stress and create a sense of calm.
Having good home storage can also help you save money. When your belongings are organized, you'll be less likely to buy duplicates of things you already own. And with proper storage solutions, your belongings will last longer, saving you money in the long run.
Finally, home storage is important for aesthetics. When your home is well-organized, it will look better and more inviting. You'll be proud to show it off to guests and feel more comfortable and relaxed in your own space.
How to Keep Home Storage Organized
Now that we've covered why home storage is important, let's talk about how to keep it organized. Here are our top tips:
Categorize your items
The first step to organizing your home storage is to categorize your items. Group similar items together, such as clothes, books, and kitchen supplies.
Once you've categorized your items, it's time to create zones. This means designating a specific area for each category of items. For example, you might have a "clothing zone" in your closet and a "kitchen zone" in your pantry.
To keep your home storage organized, it's important to label everything. This will not only make it easier to find what you need, but it will also help you put things back in their proper place.
Use storage solutions
To make the most of your home storage space, invest in storage solutions that will help you keep everything organized. This could be anything from storage bins and baskets to shelving and hanging organizers.
Regularly purge and reorganize
Finally, it's important to regularly purge and reorganize your home storage. Get rid of anything you no longer need or use, and make sure everything is still in its proper place. This will help you stay organized and make the most of your storage space.
The Bottom Line
In conclusion, home storage is important for a number of reasons. It can help you save time and reduce stress, save money, and improve the overall look and feel of your home. And with these tips, keeping your home storage organized is easier than ever. So what are you waiting for? Get to organizing, and enjoy your beautifully organized home!